Horchata is a sweet rice milk beverage that is both refreshing and delicious! So, whether you are looking for a good excuse for a party or just an afternoon treat, try mixing this up.
- 1 2/3 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine rice and 2 cups water in a blender.
- Blend until the rice begins to break up, about 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups of water and blend an additional 30 seconds.
- Let rice and water sit at room temperature for 3+ hours.
- Strain the rice water into a larger pitcher, throw away rice left in strainer.
- Add cinnamon sticks, sugar, milk and vanilla into the rice water.
- Once thoroughly chilled, stir up and pour over ice.
Try fruit variations by adding strawberries or mangos when you add the cinnamon sticks.
Inspired by and adapted from: Yummly