This eggnog recipe is thick, sweet, creamy and smooth. Making it perfect for the holidays or year-round, we won’t judge.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Ground cinnamon, for topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir often until mixture just reaches a simmer.
- Add a healthy spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisk vigorously. Repeat.
- Once most the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Continue whisking constantly for a few minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Pour eggnog into a pitcher or other container and cover.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour into glasses, top with cinnamon and fresh whipped cream if desired.
- Store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to a week.
Try adding clove or other warm winter spices for a bit of different flavor.
Inspired by and adapted from: The Daily Alliance
Learn more about the history of Eggnog.