Packed with fresh corn, tender potatoes and hearty bacon, this chowder is creamy, comforting and full of flavor.
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 8 ears yellow sweet corn
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- Fresh chives for topping
- Slice corn kernels off the cob and set aside.
- Scrape any remaining pulp and juice from the cobs into a bowl.
- Cook bacon pieces in a large pot, until the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and let rest on a paper towel.
- Reserve about 1 Tbsp of grease in the pot and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add diced onions and cook until mostly translucent.
- Rapidly stir in garlic and flour.
- While whisking, pour in water.
- Add in corn, potatoes, thyme, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a low boil while mixing.
- Reduce to simmer and stir periodically until potatoes are tender.
- Simmer, stirring every so often, for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove about 3 cups of the soup and blend in a blender until smooth.
- Add blended soup into the pot.
- Add half and half and reserved corn juice.
- Stir in and heat through.
- Top with remaining chives and cooked bacon pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
Try topping with shredded cheese too.
Inspired by and adapted from: The Chunky Chef