Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie
A true classic, with a flaky, buttery crust, creamy sauce and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables. A great meal for busy families and comfort food seekers alike.
Crust (Will need to make two, one for top of pie)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- A tablespoon at a time, stir in water until mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Repeat the process to make the second crust.
- After refrigeration, roll one of the doughs out to fit a 9-inch pie dish.
- Place crust in the pie dish.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Roll out the second crust.
- Save the second crust for the top.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Stir in broth and milk, slowly, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
- Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables.
- Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan.
- Top with second crust; seal edge and flute.
- Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- If browning too quickly, cover crust edge with strips of foil.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Use premade boxed crust for a quicker take on this recipe.
Inspired by and adapted from: Pillsbury