Many cultures have put their own spin on empanadas, but the star of our empanada recipe is melted cheese because we all need a simple go-to cheese-filled recipe! These are sure to become a family favorite even for picky eaters.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cup precooked corn flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or any cheese that melts
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine 2 cups warm water, shortening and salt in a medium bowl. Mix by hand.
- Slowly add flour and mix quickly for a smooth mixture.
- Knead the dough mixture until evenly combined.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into small even-sized balls.
- Roll each ball of dough into a 6- to 7-inch circle.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of cheese in the center of the dough.
- Fold one edge of the circle over the cheese to the other edge, pinch the edges together to close the empanada.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough balls and cheese.
- Place on wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a saucepan about a third of the way with vegetable oil and heat over medium.
- When the oil reaches 350℉, gently place each empanada in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Try baking the empanadas: Preheat the oven to 400℉. Place the empanadas on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they are golden brown.
Inspired by and adapted from: Food Network